Saturday, October 18, 2014

Saturday Spotlight ~ Pembroke Sinclair!

Dauntless Indies welcomes Pembroke Sinclair to 

Spotlight Saturday!


Meet the Author

Pembroke Sinclair is a literary jack of all trades, playing her hand at multiple genres. She has written an eclectic mix of fiction ranging from horror to sci-fi and even some westerns. Born in Rock Springs, Wyoming--the home of 56 nationalities--it is no wonder Pembroke ended up so creatively diverse. Her fascination with the notions of good and evil, demons and angels, and how the lines blur have inspired her writing. Pembroke lives in Laramie, Wyoming, with her husband, two spirited boys, a black lab named Ryder, and a rescue kitty named Alia, who happens to be the sweetest, most adorable kitty in the world! She cannot say no to dessert, orange soda, or cinnamon. She loves rats and tatts and rock and roll and wants to be an alien queen when she grows up.
You can learn more about Pembroke Sinclair by visiting her at http://pembrokesinclair.blogspot.com

Q&A with Pembroke

What inspired you to write your first novel?
In high school, I was in a contest with a fellow swimmer about who could write the best story, and the others would judge and decide.  Neither one of us finished, but I came back to that story years later and rewrote and revised.

What books/authors have inspired your life most?
Christopher Pike, Piers Anthony, Milton, Lewis Carroll

Whom would you consider a writing mentor(s)?
My friend Tamara.  She’s the one who got me back into writing after a rough patch in college.

What book(s) are you reading now?
History of Wyoming by T.A. Larson.  I had to write a profile on him and his book sounded interesting, so I decided to check it out.

What are your current writing projects?
Editing Dealing with Devils, the sequel to The Appeal of Evil

What would we find you doing when you're not at the keyboard?
Sitting in front of the TV or hanging out with my boys.

What are your favorite setting(s) to read/write about?
Anywhere I can!

If you could be any character in your book(s), which would you be and why?
Krista from Life After the Undead.  She’s tough and doesn’t take any crap.

What does writing preparation look like for you? Do you do full outlines and character profiles, or do you just start with a general idea and write?
I start with a general idea and write.  Generally, a character firmly implants themselves in my brain and won’t leave me alone until I tell their story.  They’re persistent like that.

Editing is a challenge for many writers. Give us some of your tips for editing efficiently and well.
Personally, I love editing.  I’m an editor for my day job and do it freelance.  By the time a story is ready to be edited, that means the hard part is over.  The words are on the page, now they just need to be refined.

Research is another challenge writers face, but is an important part of the writing process. What are some of your research tips?
Again, I absolutely love doing research.  I love learning new things and having an excuse to go to the library or speak to a professional.  My research tip:  don’t think of it as a chore.  Think of it as an adventure.  The prize is knowledge.

If you have been published (self or traditionally), what type of marketing did you find worked the best for you? What was the least helpful?
I’m still trying to find what has worked the best!  One surprising marketing I did was setting up a booth at a local farmer’s market.  I honestly didn’t expect much, but it turned out to be one of my most successful endeavors.  I guess the most important thing about marketing is taking changes and getting out there.  It may or may not work, but at least you’re giving it a shot.

What advice would you give to a writer who is starting out?
Write what you want to write.  And don’t let the haters get you down.  If writing ever stops being fun, stop writing.

What are your writing, editing, marketing, and research goals for 2014-2015?

I’m hoping to finish Dealing with Devils, then I have several other projects lined up that are clamoring to get out of my brain.  My marketing goals are the same as always and I hope to continue to get myself out there to talk about my work and what I do.  I have no research goals lined up, but that always changes.

Top five favorite titles (these do not have to be favorite books)
Alice in Wonderland, Paradise Lost, The Hoax, The Courtship of Princess Leia, Alien: Out of the Shadows

Top ten snacks while writing
1. Ice water
2. Anything with cinnamon
3. Cheese sticks
4. Popcorn
5. Chips
6. Gatorade
7. Pistachios
8. Carrot sticks
9. Cookies
10. Jerky

The Appeal of Evil by Pembroke Sinclair



Katie wants to invest her heart and soul in love, but she may lose both to Hell.
Katie, a senior in high school, is torn between loving the “good” guy, her childhood friend Wes who makes promises he doesn't keep and abandons her when she needs him the most, and the “bad” guy, the new kid at school Josh who is also a real demon from Hell. Katie wants someone who pays attention to her and puts her first, but what is she willing to give up to find him?


Social Media Links:

Purchase Links:



No comments:

Post a Comment